The Original Image of the Lady of All Nations
The image of the Lady of All Nations was painted in 1951 by German painter Heinrich Repke and placed in a chapel on an estate in Germany, where it remained until the end of 1953.
The painting was then transferred to the Netherlands and provisionally placed in the rectory of the Dominican Church of St. Thomas on Rijn Street in Amsterdam.
At the end of 1954, the pastor of this church received permission from the local ordinary of Haarlem-Amsterdam, Bishop Huibers, to place the painting in the church’s Chapel of Our Lady. The solemn installation took place on December 19, 1954.
On May 31, 1955, the visionary Ida Peerdeman received her 51st message from the Lady of All Nations in the Chapel of Our Lady in the crowded St. Thomas Church. Negative reactions arrived at the diocesan office. Some people feared that the church might develop into a place of pilgrimage—something they wanted to avoid at all cost.
On June 10, 1955, the bishop withdrew his permission, and the parish priest had to remove the painting. The bishop stated as his reason that public devotion could not be permitted pending inquiry into the authenticity of the apparitions. Everything connected with the devotion was removed from the church. The painting was relegated to the rectory—first placed in the library and then in the cellar. It remained there until 1966.
The painting next found a welcome in the little parish church in Ville d’Avray near Paris (1966-1967). Then It returned to the Netherlands—first to The Hague, in the monastery of the Holy Sacrament Fathers (1967-1969), then to their monastery in Oegstgeest (1969-1970), and finally to the house on Diepenbrock Street in Amsterdam.
The cellar of this house was transformed into a provisional chapel, and the painting was brought there on June 16, 1970. On August 15, 1976, the present-day chapel was consecrated. The image, having wandered for twenty-five years, had now arrived at its second last destination.
Its future and final destination was foretold by the Lady herself in her 52nd message: “a separate chapel” in the “house of the Lord Jesus Christ,” that is, the future Lady of All Nations Church to be built at the Europaplein in Amsterdam.
Source: The Lady of All Nations Foundation,
The Messages of the Lady of All Nations, Amsterdam, 1999