THE EUCHARISTIC MIRACLE
“I have chosen Amsterdam as the place of the Lady of All Nations.
It is also the place of the Sacrament.”
Message from March 20, 1953
In 1345, exactly 600 years before the appearance of the Lady of all Nations in Amsterdam,
in the former port city, a Eucharistic miracle took place; which caused the capital
of the Netherlands to grow in fame and spurred its economy.
What the various sources and old chronicles largely concordant among themselves
relate about this amazing event, can be summarized as follows:
The Eucharistic Miracle of Amsterdam took place on March 15, 1345, exactly six hundred years before the first apparition of the Lady of All Nations.
It happened in a house on Kalver Street. As the man who lived there lay in bed, sick and dying, a priest came to administer Last Rites. After Confession the sick man received Holy Communion, but soon afterward he vomited. The woman caring for him swept it up, including the vomited Host, and threw it into the fire in the hearth. The next morning, however, after stirring the coals to rekindle the fire, she noticed the Host floating above the flames, still intact. She reverently placed the Blessed Sacrament in a clean linen cloth and put it in a linen chest. She sent for a priest, who silently brought the Host to St. Nicholas Church, now called ‘The Old Church’. To everyone’s surprise, however, the next morning the Host was again found in the linen chest. The priest came for a second time, taking the Host back to St. Nicholas’s, yet the following day the Host was again in the chest. These unusual events made the priest realize that God did not want the miracle of the Host to be kept secret. After discussing the matter with his superiors, he had the Eucharistic Body of the Lord brought back along the same route from the house to the parish church, but this time in solemn procession with the clergy and faithful.
One year later the Bishop of Utrecht, having completed an official investigation, proclaimed the miracle’s credibility. The Solemnity of the Blessed Sacrament was then established as an annual Feast Day - not only for the Church, but for the whole town as well - including the yearly repetition of the solemn procession. The house in which the miracle occurred was made into a chapel.
In the course of time, one of the pilgrims to come to Amsterdam would be Maximilian, the Emperor of Austria, coming to pray for recovery from his illness. In gratitude for the recovery obtained, he granted the town of Amsterdam the right to include the imperial crown in its coat of arms, which to this day is still included.
In 1578, the annual procession was forbidden by Amsterdam’s Protestant town council, and the chapel was made inaccessible to Catholics. The processions, however, continued in secrecy and silence, and thus did the so-called ‘Silent Procession’ come into being.
Revived and permitted in 1881, the ‘Silent Procession’ has ever since occurred on the first Saturday night following March 15th. Still every year about 10.000 people from all over the Netherlands participate in it.
Under great protest, the chapel was demolished in 1908. The Begijnhof Chapel has meanwhile been designated as the place for commemorating the Miracle of Amsterdam.
Already in the second message Mary shows the visionary that in the distance a procession is passing by. “That is the Miracle Procession of Amsterdam” (21.04.1945)
By this she does not mean the ‘Silent Procession’ but a procession in which the Blessed Sacrament is brought. Mary deliberately chose a ‘Eucharistic city’ to speak to all peoples.
Note: A few years after the ban was lifted, a solemn Eucharistic Procession took place on the Feast of Corpus Domini, June 13, 2004 in the streets of Amsterdam for the first time since 1578.
Source: The Lady of All Nations Foundation,
The Messages of the Lady of All Nations, Amsterdam, 1999